Michael Selig is a Professor of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and teaches courses in Applied Aerodynamics, Aircraft Design and Flight Mechanics. He is the leader of the UIUC Applied Aerodynamics Group and has published widely in the areas of low-speed aerodynamics, low Reynolds number aerodynamics, experimental aerodynamics, airfoil design, wind energy, wind tunnel testing and real-time flight simulation, including aircraft icing upset simulation and modeling.
His expertise has been applied to unmanned aerial vehicles/systems, kilowatt through multi-megawatt scale wind turbines, record breaking solar powered aircraft, wing-sail and appendage design for the America's Cup, front and rear wing designs for IndyCars/CART and Formula 1, and many other areas. He won the AIAA Aerodynamics Award for his research in applied aerodynamics. His codes and methods for airfoil design and wind turbine blade design are used in both the aerospace and wind turbine industries. His airfoil designs and data are available in the open/online literature and used worldwide. He has also consulted as an expert witness in aviation litigation.
Prof. Michael Selig holds a Ph.D. from Penn State (1992), M.S.E. from Princeton University (1988), and B.S. from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1984).
Current Graduate Students Advised by Michael S. Selig
Applied Aerodynamics Group (+ friends and family)January 2016
Ph.D. Degree Recipients
- Robert W. Deters, Performance and Slipstream Characteristics of Small-Scale Propellers at Low Reynolds Numbers, 2014.
- Daniel V. Uhlig, Micro Air Vehicle Motion Tracking and Aerodynamic Modeling, 2014.
- Benjamin A. Broughton, A Hybrid Inverse Design Method for Complex Aerodynamic and Hydrodynamic Geometries, 2004.
- Ashok Gopalarathnam, Hybrid Methods for Inverse Aerodynamics Design, 1999.
- Farooq Saeed, Hybrid Airfoil Design Methods for Full-Scale Ice Accretion Simulation, 1998.
M.S. Degree Recipients
- Kyle Tsai, Shape Optimization of Cambered Airfoils Using a Genetic Algorithm and a Multipoint Inverse Method, 2015.
- Gavin Ananda, Aerodynamic Performance of Low-to-Moderate Aspect Ratio Wings at Low Reynolds Numbers, 2013.
- Shreyas Narsipur, Computational Analysis of Multielement Airfoils for Wind Turbines, 2012.
- Brent Pomeroy, Experimental Investigation of Multielement Airfoils for Large-Scale Wind Turbines, 2012.
- Arjun Rao, Measurement of Aerodynamic Characteristics of MAVs Using Motion Tracking, 2012.
- Chinmay Sapre, Turbine Blade Erosion and the Use of Wind Protection Tape, 2012.
- Agrim Sareen, Drag Reduction Using Riblet Film Applied to Airfoils for Wind Turbines, 2012.
- Greg Williamson, Experimental Wind Tunnel Study of Airfoils with Large Flap Deflections at Low Reynolds Numbers, 2012.
- Omkar Shetty, Measurements of Small-Scale Propellers Operating in the Vortex Ring State, 2010.
- Nathan Bishop, Measurements of Wings at Very Low Reynolds Numbers, 2009.
- Pritam Sukumar, Dynamic Soaring of Sailplanes in Open Fields, 2008.
- Daniel Uhlig, Post Stall Propeller Behavior at Low Reynolds Numbers, 2007.
- Kian Tehrani, Propellers in Yawed Flow at Low Speeds, 2006.
- Dustin Ames, [non-thesis MS], 2006.
- Gerald Oettl, [non-thesis MS], 2006.
- Cameron P. Ninham, A Real-Time Atmospheric Turbulence Model for Aircraft Flight Simulators, 2005.
- Christian Carroll, High Downforce Airfoils in Ground Effect - A Trade Study for Use in Open-Wheeled Racecar Front-Wing Design, 2005.
- John B. Brandt, Small-Scale Propellers Performance at Low Speeds, 2005.
- Gerardo Pena, [non-thesis MS], 2005.
- Susheela V. Mallipudi, Determination of Rotating Object Characteristics with Application to the US Navy, 2004.
- Robert W. Deters, Icing Encounter Flight Simulator with an Integrated Smart Icing System, 2003.
- Bryan D. McGranahan, Surface Oil Flow Measurements on Several Airfoils at Low Reynolds Numbers, 2003.
- Ben A. Gardner, Airfoil Shape Optimization Using a Genetic Algorithm and an Inverse Method, 2003.
- Tomo Sato, [non-thesis MS], 2002.
- Bipin Sehgal, Icing Encounter Flight Simulator, 2002.
- Michael D. Soso, An Angle of Attack Correction Scheme for the Design of Low Aspect Ratio Wings with Endplates, 2001.
- Sudhindra Uppuluri, Hybrid Wing Design Methodology for Full-Scale Ice Accretion Simulation, 2001.
- Chris A. Lyon, Summary of Low-Speed Airfoil Data, 2001.
- Nikhil V. Raj, An Improved Semi-Empirical Model for 3-D Post-Stall Effects in Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines, 2000.
- Jason C. Doelling, [non-thesis MS], 1996.
- James J. Guglielmo, Spanwise Variations in Profile Drag for Airfoils at Low Reynolds Numbers, 1996.
- Tom J. Zych, Preliminary Design and Cost Analysis of a Family of High Altitude Long Endurance Aircraft, 1994.
- Charles Crosby
- Antonio Filippone
- Zhaohui Du
- Jonathan Whale